Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel
The Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel is an intelligently designed entry level baitcaster. While forgiving, it also packs a serious punch, promoting aggressive fishing, while maintaining good manners. Salt water ready, the Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel for sale now, is also versatile for its relatively accessible price point.
Generous spool capacities and around 5 kilos of drag provide access to a size of fish you’d not expect for such a compact reel. Fish light in the fresh for the likes of Trout, Bass and Yellowbelly. Spool up with a heavier class and tackle a record Lizard 90cm plus. Go crazy on a Barra you’d never usually tackle with only 5 kg of drag. That’s sport.
The Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel while considered entry-intermediate level, and priced accordingly, incorporates some pretty special features. The Hagane body is strong, rigid and protects some seriously meshed brass gears. Ideal for punching well beyond its diminutive size.
The S3D spool is an excellent inclusion for the lure angler. The smooth, vibration free feel on retrieve ensures you feel everything your lure is doing. It also allows for consistent casts at maximum distance.
VBS braking (on standard models) is outstanding for the entry-intermediate level baitcaster. Centrifugal force is employed instead of magnets. The VBS system focuses on the start of the cast, when backlash is most likely to occur. Consistent spool speeds delivers a sense of confidence, allowing you to focus more on the target, than fear a disastrous birds nest.
Step the grade if you want the best technology and buy the DC model for digital cast control. The Shimano SLX DC Baitcaster is a must-have for the baitcaster angler looking for the ultimate in casting control. Cast with a new level of confidence as the intelligent digitally controlled braking system protects you from the hassles of backlash.
Deploy your Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel in the salt or fresh, from land base or you boat or kayak. Target all your favourites from Bass to Bream to Barra, Big Flatties and every river and estuary species you can imagine. OK, a 30kg Mulloway is not a sensible target, but it will be an awesome story. Kit up with a Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel. You can fish hard,
Features and Specifications
|Model||Gear Ratio||Max Drag (Kg)||Retrieve (cm) per crank|
|SLX 150 Right Hand||6.3:1||5.5||63|
|SLX 150HG Right Hand||7.2:1||5.0||72|
|SLX 151HG Left Hand||7.2:1||5.0||72|
|SLXDC 150 Digital Right Hand||6.3:1||5.5||67|
|SLXDC 150HG Digital Right Hand||7.2:1||5.0||77|
|SXLDC XG Digital Right Hand||8.2:1||5.0||88|
|SLXDC 151HG Left Hand||6.3:1||5.5||67|
- Bearings: 3+1 (4+1 on DC Models)
- Braided Line Capacity: Approx 150yds/20lb or 135yds/30lb
- Mono Line Capacity: Approx 120yds/10lb or 110yds/12lb
- Line capacitiy by diametre: 100m/0.33mm
- Approx weight of SLX Reel: 195 grams (215g on Digital Cast Models)
- Compact design Hagane Body
- Brass gears
- 45mm Throw Handle
- VBS braking technology on standard models (Digital breaking system on DC models)
- S3D spool
- Star Drag system
Note: Multiple images for illustration only. Price is for one SLX and price will vary depending on if you choose a standard or DC digital cast model. Price will update upon selecting the option in our order menu.
Shimano SLX Baitcaster Reel buyers Guide
SLX is ideal for saltwater or freshwater lure fishing. The difference will simply be the gear ratio that you wish to choose when purchasing. Most anglers purchase the 7.2:1 gear ratio model for cranking back lures faster. Though, not always will this be the case. Some anglers particularly those that fish divers and cranks in snags may prefer the 6.3:1 ratio model to work the lures that little bit slower.
About the Shimano SLX DC Digital Control Models
Shimano’s Digital Control (DC) technology is now available on the SLX baitcasters. The SLX is already a popular baitcaster across global markets. Baitcaster anglers have been well impressed by the speed options, strength and rigidity of the SLX. The DC inclusion makes the SLX even more impressive.
The smooth crank on the DC models stands assisted by four bearings and a 48mm throw handle. It’s very compact while providing efficient ergonomics for all hand sizes. With 5 to 5.5 kilos of super-smooth, predictable max drag, the SLX DC is brilliant across a broad range of inshore applications, both fresh and salt.
Of course, top billing on the SLX inclusions list goes to the casting digital control system. Backlash is an age-old and enduring issue with baitcaster and overhead style reels. Manufacturers have been working on the problem for decades. Shimano’s digital control system is the latest advancement in overrun mitigation.
These days, modern baitcasters are far more user-friendly than they ever have been. Many technologies have been introduced to mitigate against the dreaded birds nest that comes as a result of overrun (backlash). The Shimano DC system is set to raise the backlash control bar to a new level.
The DC system reads spool speeds at 1/1000 of a second, ensuring phenomenal braking control. It has four settings delivering outstanding versatility. On setting 1, the reel allows you to take over with thumb control, whereas setting 4 provides excellent control for casting smaller lures into the wind, or gives the baitcaster newbie a very forgiving cast, without compromising distance.
While the DC system will not eliminate backlash, it is most definitely a game-changer in baitcaster breaking systems and therefore baitcasters generally. The Shimano SLX DC baitcaster for sale now will significantly reduce instances of backlash. It will allow you to fish a large variety of lures, with mono or braid, in just about any conditions.
- S3D spool technology allows for a significant reduction in spool vibration. This ensures you have a much better feel of your lure as you retrieve. It also assists in adding distance to casts.
- VBS braking technology on standard SLX models ultimately provides a far more consistent spool speed. Overrun is controlled at the beginning of the cast mitigating against backlash while assisting you to reach maximum cast distance consistently. Perfect for the baitcaster novice.
- On the DC Digital Cast models the DC technology revolutionises casting. Cast any lure in just about any conditions. Four DC settings provide the versatility to fine-tune your cast for rig, lure and conditions. You mitigate against the scourge of backlash, without compromising distance.
- The Hagane body provides strength and eliminates power sucking flex. Weight is reduced significantly and the gears are house safe and sound for a perfect mesh, every crank.
- Spool sizes and drag maximums are generous, and ideal for punching up scale a little. When a larger fish attacks, you have plenty in reserve.
- The compact design delivers an ergonomic, connected feel. The longer throw handle is perfect for long hours of casting and retrieving.
The Shimano SLX Baitcaster reel is all about an entry-intermediate level baitcaster punching well above its price tag. There are no corners cut here, quality meets innovation, in a user-friendly, versatile, affordable baitcaster that will perform well beyond expectation.