Shimano Calcutta 400b Baitcasting Fishing Reel
The Shimano Calcutta reel has ruled the Australian market in terms of drum style baitcasting reels for over two decades now.
The longevity of the Calcutta design has been based on the philosophy of producing quality products With the call from anglers for a larger capacity drum style reel the Shimano Calcutta 400b Baitcasting Fishing Reel was born.
With longevity only matched by a few other reels, Shimano’s Calcutta 400b Baitcasting Reel is a treasured favourite amongst anglers across Australia’s majestic shores.
Shimano has continuously upgraded the Calcutta reels with different groundbreaking modifications to help this reel to adapt to the ever changing fishing techniques used by anglers.
Among the notable upgrades is the newly introduced heavy-duty cold-forged body and frame. Due to these upgrades, this reel has become more reliable and considerably more durable than reels in the same price range.
The newly upgraded multi-disc carbon drag is another huge upside of the Shimano Calcutta Baitcasting 400b Fishing Reel. This drag system helps to distribute heat in the drag evenly and produces very high drag pressures when needed.
Basically designed for saltwater fishing, Shimano has added several upgrades to the Calcutta 400b to cope up with the extreme amount of punishment saltwater dishes out to any fishing reel. With anodized body and spool, this reel has a longer lifespan than most saltwater reels.
Also, with a larger handle design and rubber grips, the Shimano Calcutta 400b is famed for its ease of use. Aided by Super Stopper and Assist Stopper, this has installed three of Shimano’s patented A-RB Bearings smoothly, as well as on a one roller bearing.
Features and Specifications
- Mono capacity 5kg / 302m
- Power Pro capcacity 50lb / 305yds
- Gear ratio of 5.0:1
- Calcutta 400b retrieve per crank is 61cm
- Bearings 3+1
- Max drag power 8kg
- Weight 331g
- Cold Forged Aluminum Frame, Sideplates & Spool
- A-RB (Anti-Rust Bearing)
- Variable Brake System (VBS)
- Clicker Alarm System
- Super Stopper
- Dartainium Drag
- Level Wind
- Right hand
Rod recommendations and target species
The Shimano Calcutta 400b baitcasting reel is an extremely versatile overhead drum style reel. It can be used for trolling, lure casting or distance bait casting or for drifting a live or dead bait back from the boat pier or jetty targeting species as varied as tuna, mackerel, snapper, mulloway, black jewefish, barramundi, kingfish the list goes on.
The Calcutta 400b can be matched to rods ranging in length from 1.8m overhead baitcast style rods to 3.5m overhead surf rods depending on your fishing technique and target species.
- One of the most successful reel models from Shimano, the Calcutta range of reel has been a long term stayer in the Shimano reel range and favourite amongst tropic and temperate water Aussie anglers
- Cold-forged body and frame for extra durability
- Anodized body and spool to prevent saltwater damage
- Calcutta comes equipped with Level Wind to conveniently lay the line on the reel, one less distraction to worry about when your landing that monster fish
- Lightweight body for easy control matched to a large handle makes winding in a breeze.
The Shimano Calcutta 400b reel when the job needs to be done right, add one to your cart today