Penn Squall Lever Drag overhead Fishing Reel
Penn is known for creating high end but affordable products so that all anglers have the opportunity to own products that not only function well but look good too. With the Squall Lever Drag Overhead Fishing Reel they have gone above and beyond.
The Squall Lever Drag is created from a lightweight graphite frame and side plates that make it not only lightweight but also durable. The recessed ergonomic drag lever with the trademark Dura-Drag makes everything easier for you as the angler.
This penn squall overhead reel also features a Versa Handle for when you need to dictate how long your handle needs to be depending on the type of fishing you’re doing. It is quickly and easily adapted with included tools.
Penn Squall lever drag fishing reels include three line capacity rings which help you to identify how much line you have left, and the switch blade harness lugs can be popped up with the tip of your finger when needed.
Features and Specifications
- Most ideal Use – Boat Fishing
- Overhead style fishing reel (must be used on an overhead style fishing rod)
- Light weight graphite frame and side plates
- Ergonomic design
- Dura-Drag system
- Line Capacity Rings
- Switch Blade harness lugs
- Aluminum spool
- Stainless steel main and pinion gears
- Ratcheted drag lever
- 6 stainless steel bearing system
|MODEL||RATIO||BEARINGS||WEIGHT (G)||DRAG (kg)||Mono Capacity yd/lb||Braid Capacity yd/lb|
|SQL30LD||6.1:1||6||515||6||390/20 350/25 260/30||1025/20 775/30 550/50|
|SQL40LD||5.1:1||6||591||10||490/25 360/30 300/40||1075/30 750/50 625/65|
|SQL50LD||4.3:1||6||4.3:1||13||500/30 420/40 310/50||1050/50 875/65 750/80|
|SQL60LD||4.3:1||6||795||15||500/40 370/50 330/60||1050/65 900/80 775/100|
Fishing Applications and Fishing Rod Selection Guide
Penn Squall Lever drag reels are primarily best used as an ocean going boat fishing reel for trolling, light live baiting or bottom bashing the reefs. Squall Lever drag reels must be matched with an overhead style of fishing rod only. So, if you fairly new to fishing take note as you do not want to use this type of reel on a spin rod.
There are many overhead rods for sale here at Fishing Tackle Shop and for the Squall models 30 and 40 you are best off looking into an overhead rod that has a line rating anywhere from 10kgs and above and for the 50 and 60 models consider a rod with a rod rating of 15-24kg. We are here to help at Fishing Tackle Shop so if you are in need for a rod and get stuck on what to choose contact us via email or live chat and we will give you some direct links to some suggested options.
- The Versa-Handle enables you to easily alter the handle. If you need more power switch to the longer position. If you need speed switch to the short configuration.
- In the designing stage the ergonomic design was considered a top priority. Special care was taken to ensure that the lever drag does not protrude away from the frame. Often the line can loop over and hang up on the lever and Penn was on a mission to fix this common issue.
- Penn Squall Reels have three line capacity rings that let you know how low your line is getting. The indicators are located at 1/3, 2/3, and full. Now you’ll know exactly how much line you have left when locked in battle with a fish.
- The ratcheted drag lever keeps you from having issues with “drag creep.” You’ll now be able to troll for longer without having to worry.
- Switch Blade harness lugs work in the same was as traditional lugs without the problem of grabbing loose line. Penn created lugs on the line up of squall reels so that when not in use will remain flush with the frame. When needed you simply pop them out with your finger.
With all of the special care that Penn put into their Squall Lever Drag reels it is easy to see why anglers love them. They’ve taken great care to consider the issues that anglers encounter and jumped in head first into fixing them. At Fishing Tackle Shop we are here to help so, should you have any questions just let us know.